Friday, August 27, 2010

Poem-Proud to be an Indian

PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN
The land of the Sindhu river –
Sindhubhumi or Hindustan,
Bharat, that is India,
This country is my land.
From the foothills of
The mighty Himalayas,
To the tip of the Coromandal coast,
This country steeped in culture,
This nation is my home.
The empires of Ashoka
Akbar and the Guptas
The birth place of
The Adishankara and Buddha
This land is my own.
This nation which gave birth
To the Mahatma and Nehru
To Bhagat Singh and Chandrasekhar
Is my Swadesh
From whose shelter have emerged
Vivekananda, Dayananda
And leaders like Bose.
This janmabhoomi is my heaven
This country whose people have
The splendour of the Bengal Tiger,
The beauty of the graceful peacock
And the purity of the pink lotus,
This land is my Eden.
To uphold whose dignity
Our dauntless soldiers have fought
And to defend whose frontier
Every Indian will give his all.
India, our India,
Her tricolour flies high
India, in that India
I am proud to be alive.

1 comment: