Thursday, August 26, 2010

Poem-My Teacher

MY TEACHER

It was a morning

As casual as usual;

The same boring prayer,

The Principal pointing an error

In our dress or discipline.

After the news, speech and everything

He bowed his head low

And spoke something slow.

I couldn't believe my ears!

"Was it true?" probed my psyche.

I realized death was a mere veracity

Which each mortal must face,

After running his life-long race.

I remember her round face,

And her rebukes

That came in quick: pace,

Her affectionate hands that fondled us

Her curly hair, her polite manner.

This was not fair to her ...

I recall how she sincerely taught

How cheaters in the class were caught

How her words mingled

With expression

And lifted us to a new world

Of imagination;

We, students, gave our pocket money

To save this sweet lady

For at least a few more days.

But, death, when it comes,

Is final, you see,

My English teacher

Died of cancer last night

And my heart cried and cried

That day out of sorrow.

Yet the show must go on

No one can slow down

A new teacher will come tomorrow.

I still recall her last words to us,

"As I have loved you always

You will remember me thus ... "

No comments:

Post a Comment