Friday, August 27, 2010

Poem-The Dream of a Child Labourer

THE DREAM OF A CHILD LABOURER

My hands were rough and gnarled

From washing dishes, carrying bricks,

I toiled to earn my daily bread,

How I wished to hold a pen instead!

I was cold and used to shiver

For I didn’t have warm clothes to wear

I didn’t have a bed to sleep in

Or proper food to dig in.

But that wasn’t something

For which I really cared

What I did care for was another thing

To go to school was my dream.

Even if it was for a single day

How I wished to war the uniform

Like school-children

Who passed my way.

These were the thoughts I had

These were the dreams I pursued

Until one day an angel came my way

And I was rescued.

She fulfilled my dreams

And sent me to school,

Where I studied all day long

Until hard-work became a rule.

At last I did reach out for the sky,

Because for me it was ‘do or die’,

No I dare to dream

The impossible dream,

To eliminate poverty from India

In which once I had been!

No comments:

Post a Comment